Frequently Asked Questions

Can I Get Any Assistance With Funeral Costs2018-08-12T13:53:16+00:00

The DSS Social Fund awards financial assistance to individuals who meet a number of criteria, to qualify you and all other family members who share your responsibility for the funeral must be receiving at least one of several benefits adn have insufficiant savings to pay for the funeral.

The DSS Funeral payment will providea limited amount which goes towards a very basic funeral or provide a contribution towards a traditional funeral.

We will be able to advise you about the qualifying criteria and the likely contribution available.

Funerals Can Be Expensive How Will I Know If I Can Afford It2018-08-12T13:52:52+00:00

We as members of The National Association of Funeral Directors abide by a code of practice, which ensures that we treat our clients and the public fairly.
we are required to have price lists available showing the cost of the services we provide.
You will receive a written estimate and confirmation of arrangements before the funeral takes place, this ensures you are aware of the cost of the funeral you have arranged adn forms the basis of the contract between yourself and ourselves.

What Are Green Funerals And Woodland Burials2018-08-12T13:52:26+00:00

Green Funeral Is a term used to describe funerals which are designed to be simple and environmantally friendly, some people consider the use of a cardboard coffin to be more environmentally friendly than one composed of wood Bi-products.

Woodland Burial sites are where trees or wild flowers are planted on graves instead of a headstone, eventually turning the site into woodland, there are many such sites available throughout the United Kingdom.
we will be able to provide you with information should you require it.

We Have Never Been A religious Family Do We Have To Have A Vicar To Take The Ceremony2018-08-12T13:52:04+00:00

No, There is no requirement to hold a religious funeral service and there are a number of alternatives.
Perhaps a relative or friend could take the service if they feel able to doing so, other members of the congregation could speak or read verses or poems.

The british humanist Association has a network of officiants who will provide a very personal non-religious service.

Ask us for more information or to organise a humanist Ceremony.

Do I Have To Register The Death Before Arranging The Funeral2018-08-12T13:51:27+00:00

No, Arranging The Funeral involves us discussing with you the type of funeral required, and offering you advice and information appropriate.
this can be done as soon as you have made certain decistions about the funeral, E.G weather its to be burial or cremation.
Then once you have registered the death you can arrange with us for the green form to be handed over or collected.

What Will The Registrar Give Me2018-08-12T13:51:00+00:00

The DSS form – now called The SF200 Funeral Payments from the social fund should be taken to or sent to your DSS office with any pension or benefit books in the deceaced’s name or in joint names, this is also used to decide weather a surviving partner is eligable for benifit such as widows benefit, You can download the form on the Department of Works and Pensions website.
To find out more information please visit the Funeral Payment Section.

Funeral Director’s Form. This is green, and should be given to us to allow the funeral to take place. NB: If the Coroner has investigated the death, and cremation is required, this will be replaced with a form which the Coroner will send direct to us.

Death Certificates. These are copies of the Register Entry, and are the Certificates required by Banks, Insurance Companies etc. to attend to the deceased’s affairs. These are currently £3.50 Per copy

What Do I Need To Register The Death2018-08-12T13:50:26+00:00

In order to register the death you will need to obtain a medical certificate from the doctor who was treating the deceased during the last illness, When the Coroner is involved this certificate is replaced by one from the Coroner.
The Coroners’ Office will be able to advise you or ourselves when you will be able to attend the Registrar’s Office.
To register a death in England and Wales, the deceased’s NHS Medical Card is the only other document required. However, this is not compulsory, so do not delay registering the death if you cannot find it – the Registrar will explain to you what to do if the Medical Card is subsequently found.
If you have the deceased’s Birth or Marriage Certificates to hand you can take them along to the Registrar, but the documents will not be retained. All that is required is the information contained on them e.g. the deceased’s place and date of birth, and maiden name if applicable.
In Scotland, more documents are required to Register a death.

Which Registrar’s Office Should I Go To2018-08-12T13:50:00+00:00

In England And Wales the death has to be registered at the Registrar’s office in the area where the death occurred.
This is the case even if the death occurred a distance from home.
However there is a facility available to attend your local registrar’s office to register a death that occurred in another area.
This is called ‘Registration by Declaration’, and involves the two Registrars transferring documents by fax and post in order to register the death. Depending on the circumstances, this can delay the date of the funeral – ask us for advice.
In Scotland, you can register the death either at the place of death, or where the deceased had their normal residence, as long as both are in Scotland

Why Do I Have To Register The Death2018-08-12T13:49:37+00:00

All deaths have to be registered, The people closest to the deceased have a legal obligation to do this.
Deaths in England and Wales or Northern Ireland should be registered within 5 days – if this is not going to be possible, you should inform the Registrar.
In Scotland, deaths must be registered within 8 days.

Why Do GP’S Charge For Cremation Forms2018-08-12T13:48:30+00:00

A deceased person cannot be cremated until the cause of death can be ascertained and properly recorded.
Before cremation can take place two certificates need to be signed, one by the GP and one by an independant Doctor. Cremation Form 4 must be completed by the registered medical practitioner who attended the deceased during their last illness. Form 5 must be completed by a registered medical practitioner who is neither a partner nor a relative of the doctor who completed Form 4.
A fee can be charged for the completion of both Forms 4 and 5 as this does not form part of a doctor’s NHS duties (1). Doctors normally charge these fees to the funeral director, who, generally passes on the cost to the family. Doctors are also entitled to charge a mileage allowance where appropriate

What Does The Coroner Do2018-08-12T13:48:07+00:00

It Is the Coroner’s responsibility to ascertain the cause of death, The vast majority of deaths that are reported to the Coroner are discovered to be from natural causes – only a small proportionvrequire further investigation.
The coroner will conduct a post mortem examination of the deceased, which involves examination of the organs to ascertain the cause of the death.
The coroner does not require permission to investigate a death within his/her jurisdiction, and cannot be prevented from doing so. In certain circumstances, the coroner may investigate a death even when the person has been ill for some time.
The coroner has to investigate deaths from diseases which may have been caused by the deceased’s occupation, or deaths after recent operations, to ensure that Public interest has been served.
We are familiar with the coroner’s procedure and will be able to advise you how to proceed.

The Doctor Says He Wont Issue The Medical Certificate, Why Is This2018-08-12T13:47:38+00:00

The Doctor can only issue the Certificate if he knows the cause of death, and has been treating the deceased for this illness in the last 14 days. If this is not the case, or if there are other circumstances involved (such as a recent operation, or a possible industrial disease), the Doctor will have to refer the death to the Coroner. If the death has occurred at home, the Coroner will arrange for the deceased to be taken into his care, in order that the death can be investigated.

What Should I Do If A Relative Dies In Hospital2018-08-12T13:45:15+00:00

If a relative who has been a hospital inpatient dies, the doctors who have been treating the deceased will usually be able to issue the Medical Certificate. Ask the ward staff or Doctor what you need to do to collect this Certificate, or ring us for advice and contact numbers.

What Should I Do If A Relative Dies At Home2018-08-12T13:42:11+00:00

When a death which has been expected occurs at home or at a nursing home, the Doctor who has been treating the deceased should be contacted. The Doctor or a colleague will either attend to confirm that death has occurred, or will give permission for the deceased to be transferred to our premises, if this is your wish. You can then contact ourselves, who will attend to transfer your loved one to our chapel of rest.

Albert, Ann, Nigel & Mark Boulton At The Official Opening
Official Opening Of The St. Peters Site (11th March 1989)
2018 image